Thursday 24 October 2019

Stand up South Street Sally


I am finally ready to succumb to Autumn. I cling onto the last vestiges of summer like the leaves on the trees fighting with the blustery weather, but in the end out comes the Autumn/winter wardrobe.

I ease myself into the new season gently. Tweed jackets, lightweight scarves, ankle boots, delicate cashmere jumpers, comfortable jeans, woollen dresses are my basics. Layers are key because occasionally a burst of sun will give a brief glimpse of what we are leaving behind.

At home I am surrounded by clothes. Rail upon rail of sustainable fashion. I am obsessed by recycling clothes and appalled by what ends up in landfill, so much wastage and so much of it unnecessary. If we all made a conscious effort to combine pre-loved with new it would make such a difference.

As the house started bulging with my obsession it was time to focus on South Street Sally which had started up outside my house on a Saturday morning.  Bridport has a twice weekly market (Saturday & Wednesday mornings) so it seemed an ideal opportunity to sell some of my surplus stock.

I started out with a mixture of items, mostly bric a brac but the clothes side just seemed to grow and grow and was proving very popular as people got to know me and my style. I don't do vintage clothing, leaving that to others who are more knowledgeable than I am in that area.

I suppose I could be called 'classic with a quirky twist'. Nothing will go onto the stall unless it is of the highest quality and I personally love it. Its a terrific way to get to meet people in the community and satisfies my 'recycling ethic'. I also have an endless supply of 'new to me outfits'...Perks of the job!

Focusing on clothes everyday makes me de-clutter my own wardrobe on a regular basis. However we all have weaknesses and mine have to be cashmere pullovers and coats. I couldn't possibly admit to how many I possess but I'm not to be found in the same one very often. My rule is simple, two in, one out so lots end up on the stall!

Todays outfit is:
Polo neck pullover/poncho in dark bottle green by Cos (from South Street Sally)
Joseph silk and stretch cotton shirt (from South Street Sally)
Angelika magic stretch jeans from Anna Montana (from Douglas Read, South Street)
Clarks riding boots (Clarks)
I alternated today as the weather changed outside between my Barbour coat and a hugely fun Per Una faux fur jacket in an up to date leopard print (both from South Street Sally)

Do please come and visit, either on my stall on South Street (weather permitting) or peruse the latest news via my facebook page 

Vow to make the change today, combine pre-loved with new. Recycling is smart.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bridport Fashion Revolution

Apparently Bridport is having a 'FASHION REVOLUTION' which is all very exciting for me being in the business of PRELOVED/ NEW TO Y...